I’m a big fan of cornbread and I also love blueberries, so why not a blueberry cornbread cake? This sweet and moist cornbread is so delicious and easy to make.
I like to make smoothies and before the quarantine started, we bought a variety of frozen fruit. I’ve only made three in the last two months, so I have A LOT of frozen blueberries; I think deep down I knew I was saving them for something special.
I love a sweet cornbread and this one has the perfect amount of sweetness to compliment the slight tartness of the blueberries. The blueberries are gently folded into a batter that contains equal parts flour and cornmeal, creating a yummy muffin/cake texture.
I bake this in a 10.25-inch buttered cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a cake pan will do just fine. If you prefer, you could also make muffins with the batter and you’ll get about 6-8 muffins.
Blueberry Cornbread Cake
- 10.25 Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup corn meal white
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 egg beat a bit before adding in
- 1/4 cup +2 tbsp grapeseed oil or any neutral oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp melted butter for the cast iron
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Butter your cast iron.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, corn meal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, mix the milk, oil, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Now add the dry to the wet ingridients and stir to combine.
- Once the batter is well blended, add the blueberries and gently fold in with a spatula. Make sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the buttered cast iron and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the center is set. The skillet will be extremely hot at this point, so let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy!
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a cake pan will work. A muffin pan works too and should yield about 6-8 muffins.
- I prefer using white corn meal, but if you don’t have or can’t find any white corn meal, you could also use yellow.
- This cornbread cake yields 8 medium size slices.