Happy December 1st! The most wonderful time of year. Cookie season of course. And it’s in full effect! Kicking it off with these Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Sandwich Cookies. CAUTION they are extremely addicting. I promise you.
I have so many amazing recipes coming your way. But not just cookies, ’tis the season for cinnamon rolls & pie too! And all the savory cozy dinners. But back to these delicious cookies. I use a mixture of ground hazelnuts, flour & cornstarch for that perfect crumbly & tender texture. These are the most addicting cookies EVER.
- Butter (softened)
- Sugar (granulated + brown sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
- Egg Yolk
- Finely ground hazelnuts
Toast Your Hazelnuts
- Toasting the hazelnuts brings their natural oils to the surface. And they get even crunchier, which helps with the texture of these cookies. You can add them to skillet, (which i do!) and stir them often on medium heat until they’re toasted. Or you can do this in an oven as well.
These cookies start off like shortbread, but I always like to add yolks when making my shortbread. It helps with the texture and much easier to work with.
- Once your dough is made, dump it onto a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap so it’s easier to shape. Form the dough into a log. You can do a square or circle shape. See recipe below for measurements. Once the dough has chilled, they’re much easier to slice. You’ll get even clean cuts and the cookie will retain its shaped once baked.
These Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Sandwich Cookies need at least 2 hours of chill time so the dough can firm up and the butter can solidify, which helps the cookies spread less once baked. So start now and in a few hours you could be enjoying these! I promise they are absolutely worth it!
I use a butter knife and spread a generous layer of Nutella on the bottom of each cookie and then top them with the remaining cookies. Measure the Nutella with your heart. Same goes for the powdered sugar on top!
Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- 1 stick butter softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar light or brown
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup+ 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ⅓-½ cup nutella
- Add the hazelnuts to skillet and toast them on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes. Stir them often so they don't burn. Dump them onto a kitchen towel and wrap them. Wait until they are cool enough to handle and rub them under the towel to remove most of their skins. Once the hazelnuts are room temp, add them to a food processor or blender and blend on high just until fine. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugars & vanilla. About 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in your egg yolk and continue mixing. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Once combined, add in the flour, ground hazelnuts & salt. Mix until there are no dry pockets left. It should be firm.
- Dump the dough onto parchment paper or plastic wrap and shape it into a log about 1.5-2 inches thick. Doesn't have to be perfect. Wrap and refrigerate the dough for AT LEAST 2-3 hours so it can firm up.
- Once the dough has firmed, preheat your oven to 350° Using a sharp knife, slice the cookies ¼ inch thick. Place onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are very lightly golden brown. Allow them to cool & crisp up for at least 20-30 minutes. Using a small knife, spread 2 teaspoons of nutella on the bottom of each cookie and top with the other. Finish with a generous dusting of powdered sugar and enjoy!