My husband and I LOVE chicken wings and we are always on the hunt for the best. Needless to say, we shamelessly eat a lot of wings. I mean, even when they are bad, I think they’re still kind of good. But, let’s discuss these sweet heat mustard wings! They are definitely our favorite. These wings are tangy, spicy, smoky and unbelievably addicting!
Usually, I like to fry my wings, but for this recipe, I prefer to bake them until they are golden brown and delicious. In my opinion, fried wings are superior and my husband would agree with me. Even though it requires a little more time, you can absolutely get super crispy and super juicy wings by simply baking them in your oven. And these sweet heat mustard wings are just that! You won’t be disappointed.
The sauce is very simple, and you’ll most likely have these ingredients in your fridge and pantry, just chillin. Time to use them!
Sweet heat mustard wing sauce
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt down some butter. Add brown sugar, yellow mustard, stone ground mustard, some honey and 1/4 cup of water. Stir to combine.
- Now add your spices! Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Simmer the sauce for about 3 minutes. After, pour into a mixing bowl and set it aside.
If you’re not into spicy food, you can omit the cayenne pepper. This spice is pretty subtle and these wings have more of a smoky heat. The brown sugar and honey balance out this sauce perfectly.
I bake these on a sheet pan for about 40-45 minutes. Make sure to turn them over halfway through baking, so both sides get crisp. To get really crispy wings, the key is to pat them DRY with paper towels right before you season them. Not only are these wings incredibly delicious, they are very easy to make! A perfect summer appetizer or snack.
Sweet Heat Mustard Wings
- Sheet Pan 12×18
- 1.5 qt Saucepan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 2½-3 lbs chicken wings flats & drums
- 2 tsp koser salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Sweet Heat Mustard Sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar light or dark
- ⅓ cup yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 425°
- Wash your chicken and thoroughly dry with paper towels. Spread them out onto your sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Add your prepared sauce into your mixing bowl and then add the hot wings directly into the sauce. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and diced scallion (optional.)
- Add your butter to the saucepan. Melt on low heat. Add in brown sugar, mustards, and honey. stir to combine.
- Now add in all of your spices. Simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes. pour into a mixing bowl until the wings are ready.
- You can completely omit the cayenne pepper if you’re not into spicy foods, or add more if you’d like! 1/2 tsp is the perfect amount for subtle heat.
- Turning the wings halfway through the baking process, ensures both sides will crisp up.
- Make sure your wings are completely dry before seasoning them and placing them in the oven. This also is key for crispy wings. I use paper towels for this.