What screams summer more than bon fires and s’mores!? Unfortunately, I don’t have the space for a bon fire and I’m not holding my breath for an invite amid a pandemic. And it’s just not as fun holding a marshmallow over your gas stove. Yes, I’ve eaten far too many. So, I thought to myself, what is the next best thing? Let’s talk about BROWN BUTTER S’MORES COOKIES! I mean, you can never go wrong with cookies, right?
If you haven’t already noticed, I LOVE brown butter. It really elevates your dish and adds these subtle yet distinct notes of nuttiness and warmth. It couldn’t be easier to make! S’mores are the perfect blend of texture and flavors. Crispy graham cracker, melty chocolate and gooey marshmallow. How genius, right? These brown butter s’mores cookies are nothing short of that.
The brown butter really brings out all the flavors that go into this cookie. I replace some of the flour with graham crackers and I crush graham crackers into a flour-like consistency, using a blender. You can also use a food processor for this part. I use jumbo marshmallows and place the dough on top. Once the cookie bakes, the marshmallow center melts and spreads, creating the perfect s’mores-like center.
How to make brown butter s’mores cookies
- First, beat your sugars and brown butter butter until they’re well combined.
- Then, add in the vanilla extract and egg.
- Fold in your flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, fold in your chocolate chips.
- Lay your marshmallows down on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out the dough and place it on top of the marshmallow. Form a circle around it and flatten a bit. Sprinkle with flake salt (optional) and bake at 375 for 12 minutes.
Brown Butter S’mores Cookies
- 12×18 sheet pan
- Blender or food Processor
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowls
- ¼ cup measuring cup
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup finely crushed graham crackers
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 8 jumbo marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 375°
- Melt your butter on medium heat until brown. This should take about 5 minutes. Be sure to stir often and keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Once it has browned, pop in the freezer to bring it back to a solid, but soft state.
- In a medium bowl, combine your flour, crushed graham cracker crumbs, salt and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
- Place your brown butter into a mixing bowl and whisk in the sugars until incorporated. Add in vanilla extract and egg. Whisk until all combined.
- Fold in your dry mixture until its well incorporated and a dough starts to form. Next, fold in your chocolate chips.
- Lay your marshmallows on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Using your measuring cup, scoop out your dough and cover your marshmallow. Form a ball around the marshmallow and press down a bit too secure. Sprinkle with flake salt (optional) Bake for 12-14 minutes. Enjoy!
- These cookies are best served warm, when the marshmallow is still melty and gooey. Once the cookie sets, you can warm them in the microwave for a few seconds.
- You can also use mini marshmallows if you can’t find any jumbo.
- If you’d like, you can make the brown butter ahead of time and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to use. The butter should be softened when whisking with the sugars.