I’ve grown pretty fond of zucchini over the years. Growing up, I never really cared for it. Now, I happen to love it! And it’s very easy to find. It’s peak season for zucchini, and they’re everywhere! This recipe is a great way to incorporate a vegetable that you normally wouldn’t eat, and turn it into something delicious! Like Tahini zucchini fritters!
These fritters are deliciously spiced with cumin and crushed red pepper. I like to pan fry them in a little oil, until they are crispy and golden brown. Tahini zucchini fritters are the perfect summer appetizer!
I use a good old cheese grater to grate the zucchini. I add the shreds into a mixing bowl with a teaspoon of kosher salt. This helps release their water. Zucchini has a high water content and this step is important to ensure your fritters aren’t soggy.
How to make tahini zucchini fritters
- Grate your zucchini
- Transfer to a bowl and add a tsp of salt. Mix to combine. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes to remove most of their water.
- Tightly wrap the zucchini inside a cheese cloth or muslin cloth into a tight ball. Squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Transfer the zucchini to a bowl, add in egg, tahini, grated onion, garlic, chopped scallions, flour mixture, and spices.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out the zucchini batter and fry them in a skillet until golden brown on each side.
Using a cheese cloth or muslin, tightly wrap the zucchini in a tight ball. Squeeze out as much water as you can. They will release a lot. I usually get 2-3 cups of water out.
These delicious fritters can be topped with a spiced yogurt or sour cream. They are also yummy with a drizzle of tahini. This recipes makes about 8-10 fritters.
Tahini Zucchini Fritters
- 10-12 inch Cast-Iron Skillet
- Cooling Rack
- Mixing Bowls
- Cheese Grater
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 tbsp Grape seed oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp tahini
- ⅓ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tbsp grated onion
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- ¼ cup chopped scallion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Wash and cut the tops and ends off of your zucchini. Grate them into shreds using a cheese grater. Place them into a mixing bowl with 1 tsp of salt. Let this mixture sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the zucchini into a cheese cloth or muslin cloth and wrap it tightly into a ball. Squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Add the drained zucchini into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, except the oil.
- Heat up your skillet on medium heat with 2 tbsp of oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out the mixture and fry them until golden brown. About 3 minutes on each side. Make sure to flatten them a bit with a spatula once you place them into the pan.
- Transfer them to a cooling rack to drain any excess oil. Top with spiced yogurt, sour cream or tahini. Enjoy!
- Zucchini’s have a very high water content, so make sure not to skip the first step. It will insure you get crispy fritters that aren’t soggy.
- If you don’t have a 1/4 cup measuring cup, use a spoon to measure out 2 spoonfuls and flatten them a bit when pan frying.