Happy Spring! We made it to April. What are you guys looking forward to the most? I am looking forward to better & warmer days. I’m also very excited for Easter. Although it will look different again this year, I’m going to make a few of my mothers traditional recipes that we always enjoyed growing up. I’m also making these coffee glazed carrot cake doughnuts that I’m OBSESSED with. I tested this recipe 3 times to really get the texture and flavor right
I love everything about these doughnuts. They are light and fluffy with bits of carrot throughout. I spice the batter with ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg to really tie in that carrot cake flavor. And the glaze! The easiest 2 ingredients glaze that is so delicious and tastes wonderful with all of the warm spices. All you need is a few TBS of strong coffee and powdered sugar. I like to add a pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness, but it’s totally optional.
Ingredients for Coffee Glazed Carrot Cake Doughnuts
- Baking powder
- Cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg
- Vanilla extract
- Shredded carrots
I add the shredded carrots in last. I use about half a cup and give them a good squeeze to release the juice so it doesn’t make the batter too wet. The dough will be pretty sticky, so I like to refrigerate it for at least an hour before rolling it out and shaping the doughnuts.
I used a 3 1/4 biscuit cutter to cut out my doughnuts and the smallest one to cut out the middles. This recipe makes 6-8 doughnuts plus doughnut holes.
Coffee Glazed Carrot Cake Doughnuts
Carrot Cake Doughnuts
- 2 cups + 2 tbs flour spooned and leveled
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- ¾ cup yogurt full fat
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot squeeze to remove the excess water
- oil for frying vegetable or any neutral oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp strong coffee
- Add the eggs, sugar, yogurt & vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Next add in your flour, baking powder, salt & spices. Use a spatula to mix the batter until there are no dry pockets left. Fold in your carrots. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a large pot to 345°-355°
- Dump the batter onto a floured surface and sprinkle with more flour until no longer sticky. Roll out your dough ½ inch thick. Using biscuit cutters, shape out your doughnuts and gently drop them in the oil. Fry in batches for 1.5-2 minutes on each side turning over once. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with a wire rack. Allow the doughnuts to cool before dipping in the glaze. Enjoy!
- Add your powdered sugar and salt to a medium mixing bowl and add in the coffee 1 tbs at a time until a very thick but pourable glaze forms.
- I used a 3 1/4 inch biscuit cutter to shape my doughnuts out and a smaller one for the middle. Make sure to dip the cutters in flour so they don’t stick to the batter when cutting into.
- Once your carrots are shredded, add them to a kitchen cloth and ball it up. Squeeze tightly to remove most of the water.
- Fry the doughnuts in batches of 2-3 to ensure they cook evenly.
- Use room temperature or cold coffee for the glaze.