What’s better than a homemade pop tart? A GIANT guava & cream cheese frosted pop tart. Seriously SO good. If you want to bake something for a special someone or even a friend, this is the easiest and perfect Valentine’s Day treat! It’s nostalgic and adorable!
One of my favorite flavor combos is guava and cream cheese. I use guava paste in this recipe. I love how versatile it is. It is delicious with both savory and sweet. Which is why cream cheese and guava is such a dreamy combo.
My favorite pop tart flavors growing up were classic strawberry and s’mores. I never cared to toast them. I honestly don’t know too many people that toasted their pop tarts. This homemade pop tart is NEXT LEVEL delicious. Buttery, flaky, tangy-sweet.
The shortcut here is store bought pie crust. Even better if you have some leftover pie crust stashed in the freezer. We love pie, so I’m always stuck with leftovers. Not a bad problem to have. For the filling, I use guava paste and melt it down in a bit of water. They also make guava jelly and you could totally use that as well.
Anyway…. This giant guava & cream cheese frosted pop tart is a bit addicting and the cream cheese ties it all together for that perfect tangy and creamy bite.
How to make cream cheese icing
- Whisk softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time along with the vanilla.
- Add in milk or cream 1 tablespoon at a time until a smooth icing forms.
- Finish with a pinch of salt.
Pie crust is very easy to find in the freezer section of your grocery store. You’ll need 2 pie crusts for this recipe. I roll each one out and roughly cut them into a 11×15 rectangle. You can also use your favorite double pie crust recipe.
Yes, flowers on Valentine’s Day are beautiful. But a GIANT flaky, buttery, creamy, crunchy, sweet pop tart? I mean c’monmmmm! Add the conversation hearts on top if you’re feeling festive, but rainbow sprinkles are classic.
Giant Guava & Cream Cheese Frosted Pop Tart
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Sauce pan
- Pastry brush
- Mixing bowl
- 2 oz cream cheese Softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4-5 tbsp cream or milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 pie crusts
- 6 oz guava paste cut into pieces
- 6 tbsp water
- egg wash
- In a mixing bowl add in your softened cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. It will be thick. Add in the milk 1 tbsp at a time until smooth and creamy. Finish with salt.
- Preheat your oven to 375. In a small saucepan add the guava pieces and water. Stir with a spatula until the paste melts and liquifies. About 5 minutes. set aside to cool.
- Roll out your pie crusts on a floured surface and cut each one roughly into a 11×15 rectangle. Lay one crust down on a parchment lined sheet pan. Spread the guava jelly leaving a 1 inch border. Brush the edges with egg wash. Lay the other crust on top and crimp with a fork. Brush the top with egg wash and poke a few holes on top. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the pop tart to cool before pouring the icing on top. Finish with candy hearts or sprinkles. Cut a slice and enjoy.
- You can use any filling with this recipe. Strawberry or raspberry jam are also delicious.
- Guava paste is very thick. Cutting it into slices speeds up the melting down process. Stir continuously.
- The candy hearts are totally optional and fun. I usually opt for rainbow sprinkles when i’m not feeling festive.