This toasted milk & brown butter banana bread is as delicious as it sounds! Incredibly tender and super flavorful. This loaf stays moist (sorry) for days, if it lasts that long. But I promise, it wont! This banana bread is so unique and absolutely one of my favorites.
What is toasted milk?
- Toasted milk is essentially milk powder that has been toasted. There are many different methods of toasting milk powder. I like to do it in a small saucepan over a very low flame. Milk powder can be used in a variety of recipes and gives a unique flavor and texture. Cakes, cookies, breads. It adds a richness to baked goods for sure. And it’s shelf stable! When you toast it, it takes a nutty-graham cracker-dulce vibe. REALLY GOOD but also really subtle. Incorporating brown butter into this recipe really drives home that toasted warm flavor that keeps you wanting more.
How to toast milk powder
- I use non-fat milk powder and toast it on a V low flame. You want to constantly whisk because it can burn quickly, which is why a low flame is important. It will clump during the process a bit and that is totally normal. I use a spatula to flatten the clumps out, or you could run it through a fine mesh strainer.
It’s no surprise here that I’m using brown butter. I have a handful of recipes with brown butter that I absolutely love. It’s just an amazing step that adds so much complexity in a recipe.
Banana bread is one of those desserts that is perfect for breakfast with a strong cup of coffee or a mid-afternoon snacking cake. This one is perfectly moist with the right amount of density and fluff. It’s truly my favorite and the texture and flavor are very unique. It’s like a grown up banana bread. I prefer mine without any nuts, but feel free to add them! And if your team chocolate, adding chips or chunks would also be delicious.
Toasted Milk & Brown Butter Banana Bread
- small saucepan
- Loaf pan
- Parchment Paper
- 2 spotty bananas
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 C + 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup nonfat milk powder
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar optional
- Add the milk powder to a small saucepan. Toast on low heat until golden brown, stirring constantly. If the mixture clumps, flatted with the back end of a spatula. Set aside.
- I’m the same sauce pan, add your butter and melt on low-medium heat until golden brown. About 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350. Add the bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash. Next add in the brown butter, oil, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla & sugars. Mix until thoroughly combined. Next add in your dry ingredients including the toasted milk Powder. Mix until there are no dry pockets left.
- Pour the batter into into your prepared loaf pan and top with Demerara sugar (optional) bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center is set. Allow the loaf to cool before slicing. Enjoy with a hefty spread of butter, honey and flake salt!