I love cornbread and I love banana bread. But I love this brown butter banana cornbread loaf so much more! It’s truly one of the best mashups. It has all the warmest flavors of brown butter, & vanilla with sweet banana. And then theres a distinct but subtle hint of the yellow cornmeal that also makes this feel like you’re eating sweet cornbread. The texture is amazing!
This recipe is a bit similar to my toasted milk banana bread. It’s super moist with the perfect crumb. The addition of yellow cornmeal gives this loaf the best flavor and texture. You get the sweetness from the bananas and warmth of the vanilla. It’s probably one of my favorites. A must try!
- Spotty bananas
- White & brown sugars
- Melted brown butter
- Olive oil
- Yellow cornmeal
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
I over buy and let my bananas get super spotty more times than I’d like to admit and I can guarantee I’m not alone on that one! So banana bread is always in rotation.
Using a combination of brown butter and oil is my favorite. I love the buttery taste in baked goods, but also love the addition of oil, which creates a moist & tender crumb. I like to bake this in a 8×4 loaf pan. This size is my favorite size to use as it creates a tall loaf.
Whenever I’m making loaf cakes. I almost always sprinkle the top with demerara sugar. It creates the most delicious crunchy topping. Try it next time!
Brown Butter Banana Cornbread Loaf
- Loaf pan
- Mixing Bowls
- 2 large spotty bananas
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil or grape seed oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Brown the butter in a saucepan on med-low heat. Stir occasionally until deep golden brown. About 5-8 minutes. Pour into a heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- Add the mashed banana, eggs, sugar, melted brown butter, oil, buttermilk and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the dry remaining ingredients and continue mixing until there are no pockets of flour or cornmeal left. Pour into a prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the top with demerara sugar. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center is set. Allow the loaf to cool before slicing. Enjoy!