Who doesn’t love a PB & J SANDWICH? There’s something so nostalgic and comforting when eating one. I always preferred mine with strawberry jam and crunchy peanut butter. It’s pretty much a perfect flavor combo and there are so many iterations of it. Doughnuts, smoothies and my favorite, cookies! So of course I had to create some. And these Brown Butter PB & J Cookies are so special! It’s a brown butter & peanut butter cookie base filled with strawberry preserves and when baked it gets all gooey, warm and delicious.
These cookies have brown butter in them and uses both white and brown sugar. The brown butter enhances the peanut butter flavor and adds toasty, warm notes that makes them even more addicting. There is less than 1 cup of sugar in this cookie dough, since we are filling them with sweet preserves. They are not over the top sweet. I used strawberry jam, but grape or even mixed berry would also be delicious! Instead of putting peanut butter in the middle I wanted to make a very peanut buttery flavored cookie batter instead, and it is so delicious. You have to try these cookies! My favorite take on the childhood classic.
How to make Brown Butter PB & J Cookies
- Cream the brown butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the egg and mix for another minute until well incorporated.
- Next, add in the peanut butter. Mix until smooth (Jiff brand creamy peanut butter works best for this recipe).
- Lastly, add the dry ingredients and mix until there are no pockets of flour left.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, about 3-4 tbsp, form the dough into a ball and then make a whole in the center to fill with the preserves or jam. Seal and roll it back into a ball. Bake 3 at a time so there is plenty of space for spreading. Some jam may seep out when rolling and while they’re baking and that’s perfectly fine.
Brown Butter PB & J Cookies
- Sheet Pan
- Large Cookie scoop or ice cream scoop
- Stand mixer or handheld mixer
- 10 tbs butter
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg room temp
- ⅓ cup peanut butter creamy (jiff brand)
- 1¼ C + 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼-⅓ cup strawberry preserves or your preferred flavor
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Add the butter to a saucepan and melt it down until it browns. Low to medium heat. This should take about 5-6 minutes. Use a spatula to stir often. Once it browns, remove it from the heat and pour into a heatproof bowl. Place it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes until solid, but soft.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, add the brown butter, sugar & vanilla. Cream for 2-3 minutes on medium. Add the egg and continue mixing for another minute. Be sure to scrape the sides down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Next, add in the creamy peanut butter and mix until well incorporated. Add in the flour, baking soda & salt and mix until there are no dry pockets left.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, about 3-4 tbsp, form the dough into a ball and create a well in the center. Add 1 tsp of your preserves and roll it back into a ball. It will get a bit messy, so it's ok if the jam seeps out. Once All the cookies are filled, Bake them on a parchment lined sheet tray 3 at a time for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy warm!
- You can make the brown butter in advance and leave it in the fridge. Once you’re ready to use. Just allow it to sit out until its softened.
- Bake the cookies on a sheet tray 3 at a time so there is plenty of room for spreading.