This honeynut squash soup is slightly spicy and smoky. It has all the best flavors and is a perfect weeknight cozy fall soup. I love butternut squash, but honeynut squash is my absolute favorite! It’s sweeter, nuttier and so good for you! Plus they’re really freaking adorable. Think a better tasting butternut squash.
I often buy them in bulk for snacking. I like to roast them until tender and you don’t even have to peel them. You can eat their skins too! Just cut them in half and remove their seeds and bake.
I start this soup off with a mirepoix. Celery carrots onions sautéed until tender, while the squash Is roasts away. Once the squash is cool enough to handle, I spoon the flesh out and dump in into a blender with my mirepoix mix and blend away. This dish can easily be made vegan by replacing the chicken stock with vegetable and the heavy cream with coconut cream or milk.
This soup is so easy! I love adding Calabrian chili paste and smoked paprika for a bit of smoky heat. So good! But totally optional if you don’t like spicy foods.
I use a lot of fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary and sage and even though the honeynut squash is much sweeter than butternut squash, the fresh herbs add a really delicious savory element in this honeynut squash soup.
Honeynut Squash Soup
- Large pot
- Blender or immersion blender
- Sheet Pan
- 2 small honeynut squash
- 4 tbs oil olive or grape seed
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- a few sage sage leaves
- 1 stalk celery chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 small carrots chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs calabrian chili paste
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Cut your squash in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Drizzle with 2 tbs of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a sheet pan, cut side down and tuck your herbs and peeled garlic underneath. Bake at 420° for 30-40 minutes.
- While your squash is cooling down, add the remaining oil to your pot and sauté your celery, carrots & onion on low-med heat. Add in the smoked paprika, turmeric and black pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes occasionally stirring. Next Add in your stock and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Once your squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into a blender along with the softened garlic and your veggie mix. Be careful it will be very hot. Blend until smooth and creamy and transfer it back to the pot. Add in your chili paste, salt to taste and cream. Bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve and top with some creme fraiche and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
- For a vegan option, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and swap out the heavy cream for coconut cream or milk.
- If you don’t have any calabrian chili paste, you can also use crushed red pepper. Add in according to your desired level of spice. Start at 1 tsp. Or omit this altogether if you don’t like spicy foods.
- Butternut squash will also work with this recipe. Just use 1 large one in place of the honeynut squash.