Hummus is just one of those foods that is great for anytime of day. Always satisfies that craving. and really eats like a meal! Especially with a side of veggies & pita bread. It’s delicious on just about anything. I love using different ingredients to makes fun variations. Roasted beet & garlic hummus is my absolute favorite combo.
Aside from being so pretty, this hummus is very simple make. The addition of the beets and roasted garlic give this hummus such a unique flavor. I always keep roasted garlic in the fridge because it is so delicious! I love adding it to pasta, sandwiches or salad dressings. So many ways to use it.
Let’s talk about beets. Are you guys into beets? I actually LOVE them. Even as a kid I surprisingly loved beets. My favorite way to enjoy them is roasted and marinated in some good olive oil, balsamic vinegar and S&P. SO GOOD! And so good for you. You can use beets in so many different ways these days. They are so vibrant and rich in color and are also popularly used as a natural food dye. Like in pasta doughs, focaccia breads and even cakes.
First step for this recipe is to roast your beets and garlic in the oven until fork tender. Splash them with a little oil, S&P and wrap them up in foil. I roast quite a few at a time and keep them in the fridge for the week. Beets in salads are especially delicious.
How to make roasted beet & garlic hummus
- Roast your beats and garlic for 45-60 minutes in the oven. Until fork tender.
- While they’re roasting, drain and rinse the chickpeas and pour them into a pot of boiling water. This will help make them softer. Boil for 15-20 minutes. Drain and add them to your food processor.
- Next, add in your roasted beet, garlic, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice & salt to taste. Blend until a smooth hummus forms. Serve with your favorite pita, crackers or veggies.
Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus
- Food processor or blender
- 2 15 oz cans of chickpeas or 3 cups drained and rinsed
- 1 large beet peeled
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 tbs tahini
- juice of half a lemon
- salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- Cut a bit off the top of your garlic head to expose the cloves. About 1/4 inch. Place them on a sheet of foil and drizzle some olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper on top. Wrap them and place them onto a sheet pan. Roast for 45-60 minutes. Or until fork tender.
- While they're roasting, take your drained and rinsed chickpeas and place them in some boiling water. Just enough to cover them. Boil for 15-20 minutes to further soften. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, roasted beet and squeeze the end of the garlic to remove the cloves. They will be very soft. Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until a smooth hummus forms. Serve on a plate and top with some olive oil, herbs and your favorite spices. Enjoy with a side of crisp veggies or pita chips!