Who loves apple pie? Besides pumpkin pie, it’s my favorite. Pie season is upon us and it’s one the most exciting things about the fall, especially during apple season! I also love galettes. Easy, no fuss, no crimping, doesn’t have to be perfect. My kind of dessert. Enter this Frangipane Apple Galette.
This Frangipane Apple Galette was my husbands favorite! And he is a classic apple pie guy through and through. Apple season is upon us. And aside from pumpkin, it’s one of my favorites. I love a classic apple pie as much as the next person, but I do love when the apples maintain their texture and aren’t completely softened.
The apples in this recipe sit on top of a luscious almond Frangipane which makes this galette even more special. I like to use a sweet and firm apple for this recipe, like a gala or honey-crisp.
The crust is super flaky and made crunchier with coarse sugar. Almond rich filling baked in between each apple slice and folds of pie dough. Truly NOTHING better and is super easy to make. Frangipane is a delicious secret ingredient that can be used to enhance so many baked goods.
What Is Frangipane?
Frangipane is essentially a pastry cream made from ground almonds or almond flour, eggs, softened butter and sugar. It is MAGICAL, to say the least and it elevates any baked good. You will make it again and again and again.
How to make Frangipane
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, sugar, egg, vanilla & almond extract.
- Add in ground almonds or almond flour, all purpose flour and a pinch of salt. Mix until thick, but smooth. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
This is a single pie crust recipe. Store-bought or homemade. I like to roll it out between 12-14 inches in diameter. Leaving enough room for folding the edges over into the filling.
The apples set into the frangipane and become halfway soft maintaining a bit of texture, which I love and with only a sprinkle of course sugar on top, it’s perfectly sweet. There is no cinnamon or nutmeg used in this recipe, I know, SHOCKER! But, the simplicity of the apples and the almond filling really takes this galette to another level. You won’t miss the cinnamon, I promise.
Frangipane Apple Galette
- 1 pie crust store bought or homemade
- 3-4 Gala apples or honey-crisp cored & sliced
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- egg wash
- demerara sugar or any coarse sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- I’m a bowl, combine softened butter, sugar, egg and extracts. Add in the flours and salt. Mix until thick and smooth. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out your pie dough into a 12-14 inch circle. Doesn’t have to be perfect. Embrace the cracks.
- Transfer the pie dough onto a sheet of parchment. Using an offset spatula, spread your frangipane pastry cream in the center, leaving out a 1 inch border. Arrange your apple slices on top. Fold over the edges and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle coarse sugar all over the galette. Bake on a sheet pan for 40-45 min until the crust is golden brown. Enjoy warm.