I love a good fall appetizer! And these Whipped Feta & Fig Crostini are a DELIGHT. They’re so satisfying and have all the best flavors. Salty-sweet deliciousness.
I feel like fresh figs are an acquired taste. I grew up eating them and I love them! Do you guys like them? Most people think of the fig cookies, but the fresh ones are much milder and honey-sweet when ripe. Fresh ones are perfect for this recipe. They sit on top a fluffy cloud of whipped feta and crunchy bread. They are finished with a drizzle honey and flake salt.
I always have feta in the fridge as I use it often. And this whipped feta is super easy to make and it is so delicious!
How to make whipped feta
- In a food processor add feta, full-fat plain yogurt, heavy cream, salt & pepper. Mix on high until smooth and creamy. About 1-2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape the sides down.
Figs are seasonal, late summer through the fall. Trader Joe’s has a great selection and they are inexpensive. I also found some at Whole Foods. You can use whatever variety you like.
For the bread, I like to use a French baguette. To get it really crunchy, I place slices that are 1/2 inch thick onto a sheet pan with a drizzle of olive oil and bake them at 450 until they are crisp and lightly golden.
If you are not a fan of figs! Some thinly sliced apples would also be delicious in this recipe.
Whipped Feta & Fig Crostini
- 1 french baguette
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz feta cheese
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt full-fat
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- 8-10 fresh figs
- honey for drizzling
- flake salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place on a sheet pan and drizzle each piece with olive oil. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown and crisp. Allow to cool.
- In a food processor, add the feta, yogurt, heavy cream, salt & pepper. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. About 1-2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape the sides down and incorporate. Refrigerate until ready to use, or up to 3 days. It will continue to thicken in the fridge.
- To assemble, pipe or spread the whipped feta onto the crostini. Top with sliced fresh figs, a drizzle of honey and flake salt. Enjoy.